Widnes Golf Club Limited is a friendly members club. The course is located in a scenic parkland setting. It has tight tree-lined fairways together with fast greens and offers a real test of accuracy for any golfer. It has a central location less than five minutes away from the town centre and offers a warm welcome to golfers and social visitors alike.
The decision to form a golf club at Widnes was taken at a meeting in the Town Hall on 12 January 1923. However, the members had to wait until 17 May 1924 to see the President, Dr G C Clayton, drive off the first tee to open what was then a 9 hole course. The delay was due to the inability of the land Trustees to conclude a quick transaction, coupled with indecision on the part of the Committee as to whether to buy or rent the land. The deal was concluded when the United Alkali Company, later to become ICI, offered to buy the land and lease it to the club. In contrast, the clubhouse was built and occupied within three months. Lady membership was a feature from the start, laying down the foundations for an active and supportive Ladies Section.
The nearby Woolton Golf Club was influential in the foundation of Widnes as two of the main instigators, John Hardman and Dr Sam McCausland, were both Woolton members and they became the first two Widnes Captains. The professional at Woolton also helped to map out the new course on Lower House Farm and one of his assistants became the first Widnes professional.
In 1925 a further 6 holes were built and by 1929 the full complement of 18 holes were in play.
An extensive tree planting scheme at that time was not a success due to the unfortunate atmospheric conditions that prevailed. Sadly the greenkeeper’s horse, Dolly, was put down having been deemed unfit for work. Her value was removed from the Balance Sheet at a cost of £14 and when her 8 year old successor was found to be suffering from a cold the Council kindly bought a horse blanket. The club moved into the mechanical age in 1931 with the purchase of a second-hand tractor.
In 1952, having survived the ravages of the Second World War, the club was obliged to accept a loss of land when ICI sold some for housing. The 1960’s brought better fortune for the club, even if this was partly due to the misfortune of another. The closure of the Mersey Golf Club at Fiddlers Ferry when their clubhouse burnt down brought an influx of welcome new members. In 1963 negotiations were completed with Lancashire County Council for the purchase of some extra adjacent land. The new course layout was officially opened with a Pro/Am competition on 11 June 1967 and at the end of that year the Trustees of the club succeeded in completing the purchase from ICI of the freehold for the sum of £5,000. As owners of their own land the club now had the confidence to extend and refurbish the clubhouse over the ensuing years.
The clubhouse now offers a relaxing setting with a well stocked bar, full catering service and an attractive patio overlooking the 18th green
We look forward to welcoming you to our club